Natural gas prices are at a historic high and winter bills could soar due to extraordinary market conditions nationally. SDG&E has programs and services to help mitigate these increases. Visit sdge.com/assistance orsdge.com/asistencia to find out if you qualify for debt forgiveness, one-time payments, monthly bill discounts and more. And, for more information, you can read this article on SDG&E’s NewsCenter page at sdgenews.com.
Wholesale prices for natural gas – a major source of fuel for winter home heating and electric generation – continue to surge and drive household energy bills higher nationwide. SDG&E does not mark up the cost of gas it buys for its customers so they do not make a profit from these rising market prices. SDG&E recognizes that no one wants to see their energy bills go up, especially now. Still, SDG&E also recognizes its responsibility to be transparent with its customers and help prepare them for higher energy bills this winter.
SDG&E has natural gas energy-saving tips to help you save on your bill during the cold weather.
- Block the chill: Caulk and weather-strip around drafty doors and windows. Use a door sweep, door sock or towel at the bottom of doors with a gap.
- Keep your furnace and air filters clean: Check furnace filters once a month and replace them regularly. A dirty air filter can increase your energy costs and cause problems with your equipment.
- Set your ceiling fan to run clockwise: This causes the fan to produce an updraft, forcing the hot air that rises to your ceiling down and into the rest of the room. In the summer, you can switch the fans to counterclockwise to keep the room cool.
- Schedule a no-cost SDG&E gas appliance check: Book your appointment at sdge.com/MyAccount or on SDG&E’s mobile app available in the App Store or Google Play.
- Lower your thermostat: Try lowering your thermostat a few degrees and throwing on a cozy sweater and socks. Invest in a smart thermostat. There are rebates on sdge.com/rebates.